Just like last year’s wrap up – here we go. Some of the big things included –
- My first year in my 50s, and the last year as the mother of teenagers.
- I set a challenge to do 52 Hikes in 52 Weeks – I didn’t make all 52, but did do 26 which is still a win.
- Helped to run two Beginner’s Programs for Brisbane Deadly Runners (more hands-on in January than in September)
- Appeared on ABC’s The Drum twice (OMG!) – once for Federal Election coverage, and once for an announcement around the IPP.
- Helped to deliver two new Meeanjin Markets events, refining it as we went.
- Indigenous Business Month and Black Coffee kinda exploded (good ways)
- Experienced two major health scares in our immediate family – in the end it was all good, but a sign we need to keep looking after ourselves.
- Finally travelled to Tasmania and Darwin – knocking off my list of visiting every state in Australia
- With Edward, delivered a digital training program called Digital Tracks.
- Was part of the delivery team for QTIC’s Digital Ready program in the Whitsundays
- With Yolla Consulting, helped to deliver a business recovery program for businesses affected by bush fire and drought in the Scenic Rim (still working on this one)
- I became a Facebook Community Boost Trainer – delivering in Kununurra, Perth, Kalgoorlie and at Supply Nation’s Knowledge Forum for Connect 2019.
- Awarded Outstanding Entrepreneurial Alumnus 2019 by Griffith Business School.
- Discovered the benefits of business retreats – taking one in June and another in December – great for getting ridiculous amounts of work done.
- I shared the stage with my husband for the first time ever at Woodford Folk Festival talking about Dark and Disturbing.
- Had the amazing Amanda Moffatt join the Iscariot Media team, meaning the future of the creative arm of IM being assured and ready to take on the world.
- Michael graduated from a Diploma of Graphic Design and will be working with IM full-time. IM’s next generation!
- We won (ie. EARNED) our biggest creative gig the day before Christmas which will see us delivering a multi-year comms project outside of Queensland.
Similar to last year’s sentiments, building a business (and I guess life in general) is always about learning. I hope 2020 is the year we can really focus on building business systems.
Big changes ahead include –
- Relocating to North Queensland part-way through the year. I can’t wait!!!
- My last few months of the SEQICC – I’m working my arse off between now and March is to have it in a better place than when I was left it.
At the end of the year, I’ve also interestingly found myself as the target of a couple of people’s JIG (jealousy, insecurity, greed). I don’t handle that stuff well but am learning to cope*. They appear to think I’m more powerful (and selfish) than I really am – I know they’re projecting their own (greed & insecurity) values on me – but still, it’s not easy. I have a sizeable arse, but it doesn’t have the thickness of an elephants. I can only do my best and keep working through it.
Thank you 2019, and let 2020 begin. Cheers, Leesa
*When I say I’m learning to cope, it means I now understand that when I hear the gossip, it inevitably consumes my mind, but after a few days, I return to normal. It’s just shit that other people’s opinions end up sucking my equilibrium for that time.